Customized Training - Unique Business Solutions
The Center for Training and Development relishes the opportunity to solve problems -- to create, develop and implement innovative programs, however challenging the task.
Examples of our customized training solutions:
Unique services include:
- JDS Uniphase (Epitaxx): When JDS Uniphase wanted to provide their own Electronics certification for their technicians, they approached the Center for Training and Development. CTD customized an existing credit program to fit JDS's specific needs and is offering a certified degree program in Electronics on-site. Our instructor helped JDS Uniphase customize its training labs to accomodate the classes.
- New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company: NJM had a requirement to increase their COBOL programming staff in a very tight labor market. Their solution involved setting up a COBOL Institute for NJM employees who were not programmers. These employees were assigned to the COBOL programming staff for on-the-job and classroom training provided at Mercer.
- Covance and Other Pharmaceuticals: Following media attention on the critical need for properly trained personnel for the pharmaceutical and related industries, we approached Covance and several other client companies to discuss their specific personnel needs. A collaborative effort resulted in the development of a four-course certificate program in Drug Development & Clinical Research designed exclusively for individuals who already have at least a baccalaureate degree: Foundations of Drug Development and Clinical Research; Regulatory and Legal Issues; Clinical Research Studies; Clinical Data Management/Biostatistics.
- Janssen Pharmaceutica: Janssen Pharmaceutica recognized that support staff were increasingly being asked to assume new and more responsible roles. In order to prepare these employees for roles requiring additional responsibilities and leadership roles, the CTD developed a Certificate in Office Management and Technology. This certificate, which includes workshops covering teamwork, problem-solving, leadership and new office technology, has been running for four years. Over 60 employees have received their certificates.
- Princeton University: When Princeton University decided to upgrade to new Windows NT personal computers, it chose to use an external vendor to train its employees. CTD won the contract to train 1,500 employees. This year-long project necessitated the conversion of two conference training rooms into computer labs and twice-a-day transportation of Princeton University employees to the college’s West Windsor campus. When Princeton replaced their record keeping system with PeopleSoft, they came to CTD to train their people.
- Educational Testing Service, Princeton University and others: As part of our specialized customer service, CTD has developed websites for several clients to provide information about the instructors, the content of classes and when they are offered. The websites also have the capacity for people to sign up to attend and give useful feedback to the organization.
- Lenox, Inc. and other multi-sited companies: Because of our collaboration with New Jersey's other community colleges (NOTE) we are able to bring quality training to any facility throughout New Jersey. At Lenox, training has been conducted successfully at their head office in Mercer and at their warehouse in Atlantic County.
- The State of New Jersey, Sadat Associates, Wyeth Ayerst, Novo Nordisk Pharmaceuticals and others: CTD has created a comprehensive language communication program for professionals who are not American born. The 50-hour program includes business writing, accent reduction and presentation skills, and has been highly acclaimed by both employers and participants.
- Delphi Corporation: As Delphi's long-term training partner, it was natural for Delphi to turn to Mercer to develop a program for employees being displaced due to a plant closing. Services provided by CTD included a full-time on-site job counselor, English as a Second Language instruction, and computer training.